RobertZimmermann

Robert Zimmermann

Falling in Fiji (The Falling in Paradise Series) (Volume 1)
Casey Hagen, Lisa Ricard Claro
Progress: 141/286 pages

Review: The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, by L. Frank Baum

Life and Adventures of Santa Claus - L. Frank (Lyman Frank) Baum

I’ve read the first few Oz books from Baum, and I’m enjoying that series. It’s fun and imaginative. That’s what I thought of this book as well, though only to a lesser extent. That’s not to say this book is worse than those of the Oz series, it’s just a different side of Baum’s writing.

The Santa Claus mythology we know today varies from culture to culture and generation to generation. While I’ve long outgrown the holiday traditions from my childhood, this book didn’t lack in a story to draw me in and think about Santa again in my 26th year of life. Baum, like he’s known for, was able to create in a short novel, a vast world full of magic and creatures that life just outside of the human realm. Some elements are recognizable, and others may have been Baum’s own creation. not being a Santa scholar, I’ll take it as what it is, an origin story of Baum’s own mind. A refreshing one for me as a reader who grew up with Tim Allen’s Santa and many other very different versions.

I’m glad I finally picked this one up. I continue to enjoy Baum’s stories for children and only wish I discovered them at a much earlier age to have enjoyed them all by this time in my life.

Source: http://alifeamongthepages.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/review-the-life-and-adventures-of-santa-claus-by-l-frank-baum