RobertZimmermann

Robert Zimmermann

Falling in Fiji (The Falling in Paradise Series) (Volume 1)
Casey Hagen, Lisa Ricard Claro
Progress: 141/286 pages

Review: Trust the Focus, by Megan Erickson

Trust the Focus - Megan Erickson

Having read Megan Erickson's first book in her Bowler University series, Make it CountI had a strong feeling that I'd enjoy this book just as much as that one. What I didn't predict was that Trust the Focus would blow that one out of the water. However, I'm not here to compare the two books, or series, more than that. It's just more proof that Erickson's a great writer.

Going into this book, I knew I was in for a new experience. Aside from some short works, this is my first novel featuring gay main characters. I've been wanting to expand my reading experience for some time, and now that I've read Trust the Focus, I'm glad I chose this as my first.

Erickson stepped up her writing in this book. The way she portrays Justin, the narrator, makes him seem so real. Landry, his best friend who's traveling along on this cross-country road trip with him, is no different. I haven't felt this in touch with characters in a long time. There wasn't a time in this book that anything felt forced. Their actions, inner commentary, consequences, was all natural and helped in my enjoyment.

Aside from strong characters, and the even stronger and passionate romance throughout the book, the story itself was one I loved. A road trip is a great device to bring in a wide-range of settings, but can also lead to each scene being weak or feeling lacking detail.  I felt like in many of the stops on this road trip, I was there. I was with Justin while he took these pictures in places that were so important to him.

Overall, the tone of this story is what gripped me the most. It was the combination of the characters, story, and the conflict that arises from it all that had me turning page after page wanting more. But I fought the page turning urge, and savored this book. I didn't want it to end and it'll stay with me for some time as a favorite.

Source: http://alifeamongthepages.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/review-trust-the-focus-by-meganerickson_