RobertZimmermann

Robert Zimmermann

Falling in Fiji (The Falling in Paradise Series) (Volume 1)
Casey Hagen, Lisa Ricard Claro
Progress: 141/286 pages
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) - Eoin Colfer I haven't read many young adult novels, especially in my adult life. I've read the first two and a half Harry Potter books. There didn't really catch my attention too much. Aside from that, there haven't been many to name. I think the only series I did read when I was in the age range of the "genre" were the Animorphs series. I read almost all of them and recently found them again in my attic. I do plan on rereading a few and obtaining the few I haven't read to finish that series.
I should get back on topic. Animorphs is the only YA series, or books in general, that I can say I've enjoyed or at least gotten so much pleasure from. That is until finishing.

I started out reading it with the impression that, like the Harry Potter series, I'd find it possibly a good read for youths only. I wasn't sure what the hype was about and all that. This is especially due to the whole "twelve year old mastermind vs. the fairy world" premise. Despite this slight attitude, the book pulled me in to the point of not wanting to put it down. It took a bit, but it happened.

I don't want to give this a thorough review simply because there's not much to say. It's a great story. I found that it's a little more adult at times than I would think for a YA book. I'm not sure if parents know of some of the minor language used, but that could also be due to Colfer not being from America. Another point I'll bring up is the unique (at least to me) pro/antagonist set up. Artemis is both the good and bad guy of the book. Captain Short is the same. Sympathies go toward both sides of the battles to the point in which I didn't know who I wanted to win in the end.

But as I said I'll cut it short because I want to get into some details I really enjoyed, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I'm really looking forward to reading the second book in the series, and from there the rest.